The Archos 101, what is all the hype about?
• Size: The Archos 101 is thinner and lighter than an iPad
• Storage: Just like the Galaxy Tab, the Archos 101 is expandable up to 32GB of extra storage via a MicroSD card. Not to mention you can use multiple cards—whereas iPad users are forever limited to the built-in SSD
• Ports/connectivity: this is where the some of the biggest differences exist. The Archos 101 has a webcam, HDMI output, and a USB host port. In contrast, the iPad only includes a proprietary jack for connecting a USB dongle.
• Speed: both use a 1GHZ ARM-designed processor. Where the two devices differ is that the iPad’s GPU is combined onto one die with the processor.
• The Archos 101 comes in 2 flavours Archos 101 Internet Tablet / 8GB or Archos 101 Internet Tablet / 16GB of flash memory, you can also pack in up to 32GB with an extra microSD card, just like the Archos 70.
• It only weighs 480g , which is a lot lighter than the iPad, and we can imagine a longer watching session without the kickstand would really benefit from this additional slimming down.
• The 12mm profile is also ridiculously thin but the built quality is excellent.
|Archos 101 Tech Spec
|• Internal: 8 & 16 GB**** flash memory
• External: Micro SD Slot (SDHC compatible)
|Display characteristics||High resolution touch screen, 1024×600 pixels (WXVGA), 10.1” TFT LCD|
|Application Framework||Android 2.2 Froyo7|
|Processor||• ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz with DSP
• Graphic accelerator: 3D OpenGL ES 2.0
|Video Playback1||• MPEG-42 HD (up to 720p, 30 fps@6Mbps)
• MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution, 30 fps@8Mbps)
• H.264 HD (HP@L3.1 up to 720p, 30 fps@5Mbps)
• WMV9/VC1 (AP up to 720p 30 fps@10Mbps)
• M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in VGA resolution
With optional plug-in (downloadable on www.archos.com):
|Audio Playback1||• MP3 CBR & VBR
• WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1
• WAV (PCM/ADPCM)
• AAC, AAC+ 5.13
• OGG Vorbis
With optional software plug-ins (downloadable on www.archos.com):
|Photo viewer4||JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF|
|Subtitles||Support subtitles files with .srt, .ssa, .smi, .sub extensions|
|Pre-installed applications||• Aldiko, Ebuddy, Wikipedia, Avecomics, HubKap, Deezer, Mewbox, Raging Thunderlite (a 3D car demo game), WordNewspaper, Touiteur, Fring|
|Interfaces||• USB slave 2.0: Mass Storage Class (MSC)
• Full size USB host: Mass Storage Class (MSC)
• Micro SD (SDHC compatible)
• HDMI output5 (Mini HDMI / HDMI cable sold separately)
|Communication protocols||• WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
• Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
|Miscellaneous||• Built-in speaker
• Built-in leg stand
• Built-in Microphone
• Front VGA camera
|Power source||• Internal: Lithium Polymer battery
• External: Power adapter/charger
|Battery life||• Music playback time6: up to 36 hours
• Video playback time6: up to 7 hours
• Web surfing6: up to 10 hours
|Scalability||• Device automatically downloads latest firmware updates when the WiFi connection is activated
• Updates can also be downloaded at www.archos.com and updated via USB mass storage
|Dimensions & weight||• 270 x 150 x 12 mm
• 480 grams
|Minimum system requirements||• Microsoft® Windows® XP, Vista, 7 or higher
• USB 2.0 interface
|Package includes||ARCHOS 101 internet tablet, earphones, Standard USB cable, Quick Start Guide (QSG), legal and safety notice, power charger.|
|* Maximum resolution = 1280 x 720 pixels
** Only available on Android™ 2.2 Froyo
*** The function of relaying your internet connection may not be authorized by your mobile phone operator or may require a special data plan option. Please refer to your contract.
**** 1 GB= 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity is less.
1/ Certain bitrates, resolutions, and/or file variations may not be compatible.
2/ MPEG-4 ASP@L5 AVI (MPEG-4: ISO standard by Moving Picture Experts Group; AVI: audio/video file container by Microsoft) without GMC and Quarter pixel.
3/ Does not read AAC protected files.
4/ Certain resolutions and file sizes may not be compatible.
5/ External video output disabled for Macrovision®-protected contents.
6/ Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. Test run with low backlight.
7/ Available in October 2010
CleverBoxes.com are taking pre-orders right now, act now as they are going fast. Call 01254 238749, order online or drop your details in this form and we’ll keep you posted on stock availability.